Tuesday 19 November 2013

Lessons learnt

2013 has been a roller coaster year, and as there are only 42 days left (!) I have decided to do a series of blog posts on lessons I've learnt throughout 2013.

Tonight I want to write about "It is better to try and fail then not try at all"

I think its fair to say I've tried a few different career choices in my short 20 years. (& please don't think I'm fickle) At the end of 2012 I was an intern for a theatre company, worked in the library and then  worked at Sainsbury's in the bakery! My time at the theatre and the library were happy one's but they needed to come to an end, my time at Sainsbury's was a crappy one but it was a job and for that I should be thankful.

In April 2013 I went to Australia and worked in a zoo! I'd never worked in a zoo before, and never thought I would and I was probably slightly deluded thinking I could even try working in a zoo but I gave it a go anyway! A few kangaroo kicks, koala scratches and dead rats later I knew that a career with animals was not for me. But I tried and now I have some funny stories to tell and what an experience it was to be up close and interacting with all these amazing animals.

When I returned from Australia I decided to start a 8 month course in beauty therapy - make up has always been an interest of mine so I decided to take that interest a little further. I now have 8 weeks left of that course and I now know that a career in the beauty industry is not for me either! Before I started my course I thought beauty therapy was a doss career (just being honest) and that the girls who did it were not the brightest bulbs around. But boy was I wrong. Beauty therapy is hard work, that involves long hours, lots of anatomy and physiology and being a very creative and caring person. I really admire some of the girls and guys I have met on the course and know that they will all do amazingly in their careers within the beauty industry.
 However, I find some of the treatments incredibly challenging, the environment tedious and I really can't wait to leave. But again, I don't regret it - I've tried something new and have another skill set under my belt.

I guess what I'm trying to say in all my ramblings is that if you don't step out of your comfort zone, if you don't take risks then are you living and are you learning? By taking risks and doing things you wouldn't normally do, you find out things about yourself. You may discover a new talent or you may find out that its really not for you, and if that's the case then WHO CARES? You TRIED something and now you know something about yourself.

For ages (and you can see from previous blogs) I have never really known what it is I've wanted to do, and I've often beat myself up about it. I wanted to be one of those people who knew what career they wanted. But as we come towards the end of the year I've realised how many skills I've gained. how much I have matured and grown as a person and how many stories I will have to tell when I'm older.

One of the most important things I have learnt through 2013 is that painful break - ups, unrequited love, crappy jobs/courses and the like help to build character, and that no matter how painful it feels you are much better off because of it.

I am still trying new things towards the end of 2013, and my advice to you is this: If there is something you want to try, DO IT. If you don't like where you are, MOVE you are not a tree. Of course you have to be sensible in the choices you make and not to do anything hastily, but you never know what lies ahead for you out of your comfort zone.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment