Monday 29 April 2013

Australian Adventure; Day 4

I can't really put into words how I am feeling right now - I feel like I have this overwhelming sense of peace inside me, and I just feel so happy, so blessed and I don't have any alcohol in my system.

Today was my first day of working at the tropical zoo and it was fabulous! I have never in my life thought of, or really wanted to work with animals - but when the opportunity was given to me I couldn't turn it down. Why not do something completly out of my comfort zone?!

Today I worked with mammals! The first few jobs of the day were not that thrilling and I was dreading that I was going to be stuck doing boring jobs all day... I had to bleach and clean the koala cages and rake leaves... but I kept reminding myself that whatever you do work at it with ALL your heart and anyway I was in the blazing sun!

I then got to feed and clean and cuddle and pet the animals. In Australia it is SO laid back! My first day, no training and they send me off into the kangaroo cages ALONE to feed them. But not just usual food - they like to give the kangaroos "enrichment" activities and so I sprayed peppermint, lemon and sprinkled cinnamon on rocks for the kangaroos (kind of to give them a bit of a high?!) and they came bounding over! It took everything in me not to squeal and run away.

There was a gorgeous animal called a wallaby who decided to crawl up my shorts because he had been raised by humans and was incredibly lovable.
There was also a baby kangaroo who had just been born and a koala that fell off its tree!

I did lots of feeding of animals and more leaf raking and watched a crocodile show. I also made some new gorgeous friends. Once again I can't really put into words how amazing an opportunity this is for me and I just wish I had TV cameras following me so that you could really feel the experience rather than just reading this badly written thing!

Here are a few photos...











Goodnight xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment