Tuesday 14 May 2013

Australian Adventure; Bhupi

Sorry I haven't written in a while... I have been enjoying the sunshine and sea! Also thank you to everyone who reads my blog as I have reached over 2000 views which is fab for me, so thank you! (And please encourage more to read it -the more views I get the better...)

Today is a boiling, but beautiful day. I went to work at the zoo and carried out my usual activities of cleaning and feeding. But today something interesting happened at lunch time. I sit by myself in the cafe (coz the staff are all moody and not sociable) and there I was, eating some vanilla and lindt chocolate ice cream when a man comes along and plonks himself next to me. 

"Where are you from?" He says. 
My mind pings "stranger danger" Do I tell him I'm from London? Do I make up a name?
"I'm from London" 
"AGHHH LONDON FINALLY" The man replies "FINALLY NO FRENCH OR GERMAN OR JAPANESE OR CHINESE OR KOREAN" (I don't think I really look japanese or chinese or korean but there we go)
The man then goes on to introduce himself as Bhupi (he's from India originally but has lived in Australia for 30 years) He owns a chain of curry shops over Australia and tells me that they are "98% fat free" 
"Are you looking for a job?"He asks me.
"No, I'm just here on holiday"
"What are your plans for when you get back?" 
"I'm not sure yet" (this is a little white lie, I know now what I want to do but I'm not telling many people) 
Bhupi slams his fist down on the table "You don't know?!" He says too me
*Insert nervous laughter from me*
Bhupi then proceeds to tell me his life story... It's a very long, and he's difficult to understand but this is the gist of it. Bhupi was a cab driver in India when a man named Peter came over from Australia to India on holiday. Peter was a very rich doctor and formed a friendship with cab driver Bhupi. Eventually Peter asked Bhupi if he had ever been to Australia. The answer was no, as Bhupi was not very well off. 
A few months later Bhupi received a ticket in the post from Peter for him to come to Australia... he accepted, came out to Australia and Peter put Bhupi up in his family home in Melbourne. To cut a long story short Bhupi opened a successful restaurant in Melbourne and now has one in Cairns too. 
This made me think - we never really do know people's stories do we. In all honesty I thought Bhupi was a pervy old man when he first sat down next too me (he was a little bit, he kept inviting me to the beach for champagne..) 
But no, he obviously wanted to share his story with me and I was grateful for the company. And his story restored my faith in humanity. Bhupi then got up, shook my hand and told me "You a nice girl, I only talk to nice, friendly, intelligent people" And off he went. 
*Ego boost for Bethany* 
 Its when you hear stories like this that you realize that there are a few people out there who really do have hearts of gold and want to help people. And we all should all take the time to get to know people, and see if there is any way we can help them. Obviously we are not all going to be able to pay for flights for someone somewhere, but even a smile and a chat may cheer someone up. I will never know if Peter was a christian, but he certainly did a good thing and helped Bhupi make a better life for himself. 
It also made me think that we all meet certain people in our lives, some may stay with us forever, some for a few months and some literally for a few seconds. But we are influenced, and sometimes changed by these people and things they say to us can have an impact and touch our World. And one of the things that makes me sad is all the people that briefly touched my world that I will never have anything to do with again.

After work I went and sat on the beach for a while. Nothing soothes the soul like a walk along the beach. 
I filmed abit of the beach and the walk home for you... it's a very badly filmed and I look hideous, but it may make you feel like you are with me!
CLICK LINK TO WATCH VIDEO :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS0sX2dHzs0


Bethany xxxx


1 comment:

  1. I can't help but think that "Rich Doctor Peter" is actually Peter Boyd in cairns and the Bhupi I know lived and worked in Brinsmead. He had a Convenience store on the Corner of Loriden Drive, but I also suspected he did take-away curries at night time. I don't suppose this is the man you speak of? I remember him from a long time ago, he seems to match the descriptions.

    ReplyDelete