Friday 24 May 2013

Australian Adventure; Closing Chapter

My last few days in Australia have been crammed packed with exciting sight seeing. I was taken up too some waterfalls called "Emerald Creek" in the Table Lands. The Table Lands are up in the mountains so I was 1000 meters high when I was walking along those pavements and swimming in the waterfalls! The nature I saw was so beautiful... and it made me feel happy. Everything that has gone on in the World the past week (the tornado in Oklahoma, the killing of the man in Woolwich, and my family loosing a good family friend) had kind of made me doubt the World. But, seeing nature in this way made me remember that God has created this beautiful world for us to enjoy and that he cares and loves for everything he has made. 

 After the walking around waterfalls and swimming underneath them we then sat in the sun, drinking beers and I asked a few questions about the Aborigines as the man who took me to the waterfalls used to do tours around Kimberly, Australia where the Aborigines mainly live. They are a very interesting people group... and I think we all need to find ways to reach out too them. As far as I am aware they are not being reached at all.





The things that they get up too sometimes are shocking and sick  and at some points I was stunned to silence because of the stories I was hearing. One story that is suitable for me to write on the internet is that when an aborigine dies, they aren't buried yet their bodies are put up high in the mountains so that the dingo's can't get them and a year later when they have turned into bone their bones are tied up in a bag and buried. Crazy how some people live.. but this is their traditions. They are also very big on spirits and voodoo and have been known to put a curse on someone too kill them even if that person is on the other side of the country. (Scary!) I think we all become so focused on helping those in Africa etc (not that that is a bad thing!) but we forget that there are other people out there who really need help, mentally, phsycially and spiritually.

Today (Saturday) and tomorrow I am off to Port Douglas as it is a carnival, so we shall see some fireworks, do some shopping and then eat at a popular restaurant called "Salsa" Then tomorrow we hope to do Cape Tribulation and Mossman Gorge. 


This may be my last post in Australia as I head home to London early Tuesday morning and the weekend is very busy and Monday I shall be packing.
 I have had the best experience ever coming out here. Every experience we go through, good or bad are depositing something on the inside of us. The challenges we all face are sharpening us into who we are going to be. I know people, and have been that person who feel they have wasted some of their life because of poor choices. We spend years in a toxic relationship, years with an addiction, years at a job were you are not fulfilled. But we need to realize nothing we go through is ever wasted. 

I have a funny feeling inside of me at the moment. A feeling I get when I'm about to leave a place. Like, I'm not only going to miss the people I have met and the weather and the sights I have seen. But I'm going too miss the person I am right now in this time and place. I hope I can carry on being who I am here when I arrive back in London, because I quite like who I am becoming - and that's not a vain, boastful thing. It's good to like who you are. And I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons, and maybe we will never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power too choose where we come from...we can still choose where we go from there. 

Whats next I wonder...?
Bethany x





No comments:

Post a Comment